The Shoreline Community College DECA team has returned from the 2015 Collegiate DECA International Career Development Conference (ICDC) with nine Top Ten finishers, four Top Three plaques and numerous medals.
Out of 18 students competing, 14 were finalists in the competition at Orlando, Fla. The individuals and teams participating in this year’s conference had stiff competition from other college in the US, Canada and China. Four-year universities represented include the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, University of Wisconsin in Madison and University of Texas in Austin. Congratulations to the following students on their achievements:
- Jessica Irby – Travel & Tourism – Second Place Overall
- Lisa Yang – Sales Management Meeting – Second Place Overall
- Xanne Sarka and Yvonne Hill – Entrepreneurship (Starting A Business) – Third Place Overall
- Omar Marouf and Liem Nguyen – Sports & Entertainment Marketing – Top 10
- Simran Sandhu and Spiridon Pappas – International Marketing – Top 10
- Shaina Hibbert – Hotel and Lodging – Top 10
- Munkhjargal (MJ) Jambalsuren and Nichlos Ho – Emerging Technology Marketing Strategies – Finalist
- Pei-Chen (Ruby) Wang & Kenneth Lo – International Marketing – Finalist
- Suzette Dutton – Entrepreneurship (Growing Your Business) – Finalist
The conference began on Saturday, April 18 and concluded Tuesday, April 21. Other Shoreline students competing at the international conference were Dominic Dumas (Sales), Resmin Sengider (Advertising Campaign), Teisha Billings (Human Resource Management), and Rachel Degginger (Fashion Merchandising and Marketing). Advisors for DECA are David Starr, Stephen McCloskey, Ailsa Kellam and Mona Starr.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. While many are familiar with DECA at the high school level, 15,000 Collegiate DECA members on college campuses around the world are preparing for careers in business. All Shoreline students are welcome to be involved in DECA regardless of major. The 2015-16 kick-off will take place in September.